Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Navigating the World as a People Pleaser

Hello Lovely People!

How is everyone doing today?

I am feeling Blah today.  Just plain....Blah.  The wedding pictures came and I was so excited to upload them and show them to my family, but especially my Mom.  They just came home from Europe and I was so excited to hear what she thought of them.

She didn't like them.  She said that some of them were beautiful but she was very disappointed that some shots that she thought would be given to us weren't.  I felt horrible.  I picked the photographer and she didn't like them.  I liked them and she didn't.

After that debacle I was feeling sad so I decided to make a nice dinner for Mer and I.  She called and I told her I was making Pad Thai from scratch with huge excitement in my voice.  She said she didn't want it, could I really make it and make it taste good?  She was hungry.

After both of those things I started to get mad.  Then I got upset. 

I am a people pleaser.  I want everyone to be happy and to get along.  It could be I am the youngest child or I am sensitive, or a variety of things, but I hate conflict.  I especially hate conflict when I am feeling sensitive and sad.  It makes me feel like I can't do anything right.

The two most important people in the world to me didn't like my wedding pictures and think that I can't cook.

Typing those generalizations sound ridiculous but that is how I feel.

Wanting to please people sucks sometimes.  I feel like I can always empathize with people.  Feel how they would feel in their situation or why they are feeling that way even if they don't agree with me.  A lot of the time I don't get that back.

Unless you want to please people all the time you can't understand what it is like to want people to be happy and sometimes people don't really give a you know what if you are happy or not too.

Anyways, I think I am tired and I am going to drink a glass of wine and relax with my cats.

Does anyone else try to please people and get hurt in the process?  Or feel hurt when your pleasing doesn't go over well?

I am going to leave you with a gorgeous photograph that I saw on Pinterest.  I LOVE elephants!
Image found of Crescent Moon Tumblr.  Original photographer unknown
Until Tomorrow,

Love,

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment