Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Handmade Paper Jewelry

Hello All!

I have been hibernating, not feeling well, these past two weeks.  However, like any true artist when I am feeling sad, what do I do?  I CREATE!

I have so many ideas percolating for my shop, LoveUPaperly.  Unfortunately, it feels like there is not enough time in the day to do it all!

My latest listing is for a beautiful paper bracelet.

I love paper jewelry and have been making it for about two years.  I have sold one ring before, but I stopped selling it because the task felt daunting.  The items take a long time to make and each one is labor intensive that I didn't want to give them up!

However, I love to make it and have received many compliments on them so I decided I really wanted to start to sell them.

I will eventually do a tutorial how I make this, but for now I will just explain.

First, I cut out the shape I want from thin cardboard.  Then I use strips of magazine pages.  I look for interesting colors and patterns.  I layer these using a decoupage method (modgepodge).  The whole process of layering and getting it how I want it to look took about ten hours and lots of gluey hands!

I then covered the bracelet in two coatings of sealant making the item water resistant.  Finishing the bracelet off I cut tiny strips of Velcro so it is easy to put on.  Since it is so lightweight and comfortable it also stays put all day!




I am selling this bracelet for $7.50 on LoveUPaperly.

Lots of Love!

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment