Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Put Your Big Girl Panties On...

I don't feel like doing anything tonight.

I'm feeling nauseous, I worked all day, comforted sick people, convinced people to take medications they didn't want, had a difficult money conversation with Meridyth, made dinner, cleaned the messes I made at my parents house, and now I am sitting down at 8 p.m. to study Anatomy and Physiology for a test I have on Saturday.  Did I mention I have to try and study Statistics after that?

As I mentioned above, I don't want to do anything.  Really what I want do to is watch the last Housewives of New Jersey and chill out my brain to get ready for tomorrow.

However, after I talked to Mer she told me I needed to read Michelle Obama's DNC speech last night.  She didn't tell me why she just said I should before I started studying.

I did.  I cried.

I am a Democrat, particularly on social issues.  I personally think it would hard to be a Republican because I am a Gay woman who right now has no legal marriage rights in Maryland because of conservatives. 

Yet, I don't think I cried because I am a Democrat and it was a kick ass speech.  I cried because the speech spoke to what Meridyth and I are living right now.

We are STRUGGLING (can I make that any bigger an emphasis?) to pay our bills.  I have medical bills past the 10,000 because of my surgery.  We both have student loans from undergrad, and Mer and I are both in school again so we can make more money and hopefully have a family and take care of our parents as they get older if they need it.

I want to be successful, but like many people it gets discouraging when I work a 40 hour work week and can barely cover my bills let alone pay for groceries or medications.

Michelle Obama's speech made me feel re-energized tonight.  Especially her story of President Obama driving a rusted out car and that their student loans costing more than there first mortgage every month.

Even though I really do just want to relax tonight, as my co-worker always say's before we do something difficult, "Put your big girl panties and get to it!".

I'm going somewhere.  I will be able to provide for my family one day and if I must stay up and study after a long day so be it!

Lots of Love,

Jess 


No comments:

Post a Comment